Founded in 1889, Dunaverty
Golf Club was set up by a small group of founder members drawn from the
surrounding farms and community of Southend. The original layout was for
an 18 hole course which began on the opposite side of the Burn at what
is now the 15th. The Course was completely remodelled and
extended before the Second World War when the first clubhouse was sited
behind the Wallace Cottages part of Southend Village.
The Course is sited on
ground around Dunaverty Rock, a long established site for fortification
which once sheltered Robert the Bruce. It is most famous for the
conflict between warring Clans in 1647 which culminated in the surrender
and subsequent massacre of the 300-strong Royalist garrison by the
besieging Covenanters. Dunaverty Castle was subsequently raised to the
ground and precious little remains.
Despite its violent
history, Dunaverty today is a beautiful and peaceful place. The Golf
Course itself is that of a traditional natural links, laid out amongst
the sandy seascape which links South Kintyreís farmland to the sea and
through which the Conieglen Burn flows and Dunaverty Rock towers above.
As with many courses,
Dunaverty fell into disrepair during the War years. There has always
been a strong sense of tradition at Dunaverty and in the following
years, Colonel Taylor, himself the son of one of the founder members
together with a number of volunteers took responsibility for restoring
the Course. Around the same time, George MacMillan was
appointed Green keeper to undertake the restoration.